I wrote this post last week.
A few days after writing it, I deleted 70% of my email list.
The Universe is always timely, perfect, balanced, poised, loving and just plain harmonious, eh?
Post coming soon on why I deleted 70% of my email list yesterday.
As for today…..
Numbers never made me a dime.
I never inspired a number to subscribe to my blog.
A number never hired me.
Nor has a number ever bought one of my 126 eBooks.
Why do bloggers focus obsessively on numbers, engaging in manipulation masturbation, trying like Hades to squeeze as much out of today, to add another 50 subscribers to their list, or to drive an extra 500 people to their site, or to make 6 figures this year?
Human Beings Are Sometimes Delusional
Don’t worry. I am sometimes delusional too. Sometimes. Not as much these days though. Because I hugged my fears – largely – and realized that no number outside of me:
- solves my ills
- makes me happy
- makes me whole and complete
- builds my community
- builds my business
I have a 60,000 member community at Blogging From Paradise. But I care little about the number “60,000.” 60,000 is an inanimate object.
Old RB – that’d be me – could do a Thai jig, pray to Crom, throw salt over my shoulder, align the stars, double check my horoscope, consult the village shaman (yes we have one here in this sleepy Chiang Mai village) and if I tried to get “60,000” to do anything, all would be for naught. Although it’d be cool trying to convey my wish in limited Thai to the old woman across the street who walks with a Gymer stick, just like Yoda.
No; not Yoda the dog, who we’re watching during this house sit.
Yoda the character from Star Wars.
Human Beings Build Your Blogging Business
Living, breathing, dyed in the wool human beings help build my blogging business. Not “60,000”.
I’ve retired to a life of island hopping through smart blogging because I co-created this life with other human beings who vibe with me.
I’ve co-created here on my blog, and on their blog.
Big numbers rock if you blog with love, from a heart-centered space, rendering useful service and promoting other bloggers to build your friend network.
But I never attach to big numbers because numbers are inanimate objects that cannot do anything. Let alone build my blogging business.
Before you do anything today, set an intent to blog predominantly from love, not fear.
- visualize the human beings behind each interaction (blog comments, social chats, email chats)
- treat borderline annoying people (spammers, lame pitch crowd, dingbat dopey folks demanding you pay $2.46 for a sponsored post volume discount) with as much compassion as humanly possible
- own any urge to link your blogging success to manifesting some number; numbers are inanimate objects that cannot do anything, and literally have absolutely zero meaning
- beware setting financial goals for your blog; make following your passion the #1 intent and money will follow, when you allow in money….and it will feel like extra or a bonus, not some idol that most human beings make out of money
- be human; meaning, be authentic, genuine and share elements of your offline life through your blog…..this attracts authentic, genuine, heart felt people to you
- focus on the Invisible Why in the visible what; you don’t want money or blog traffic or a car or a home, you want the feeling in the thing, and you can and need to cultivate that feeling now, before you get the thing, and when you fall in love with the feeling of having fun now you’ll give a rat’s ass less about stuff, the more you fall in love with serving people and making blogging buddies
Guys, that’s it for today.
Time to go watch a movie for 100 Baht.
Aka $3.19 USD.
Connect with the human beings who have co-created Blogging From Paradise:
- Donna Merrill
- Alonzo Pichardo
- Lisa Sicard
- David Boozer
- Anda Galffy
- Sue Anne Dunlevie
- Sue Slaght
- Elvis Michael
- Janice Wald
- Vishwajeet Kumar
- Freddy Cabrera
Befriend my friends. Promote them on your blog and through social media. Comment genuinely on their blogs.
Friendships, not numbers, rule in the blogging game.
Do you attach too much to numbers sometimes?
Or do you focus on building bonds with humans more than anything else?
Blogging eBooks and Audio Books and Paperbacks
I hand-picked a few resources for you to enjoy from the Blogging From Paradise library on Amazon.
Scan through the list and grab a few today.
Latest posts by Ryan Biddulph (see all)
- 5 Helpful Tips for Picking Your Blogging Niche - October 18, 2018
- Why Does Staying on Topic Make You a Successful Blogger? - October 18, 2018
- 1 Minute Video: You Cannot Be Cheap and Succeed with Blogging - October 18, 2018